Shish kabobs are very popular in international cuisine and used to be a favorite in my household. Shish, Shishlik, Shish Taouk, Kabobs….whatever you like to call them – they are delicious. Traditionally this dish is made with chunks of meat slowly marinated in a delicious, aromatic sauce. Once marinated, the meat is skewered with onions and peppers and then grilled to perfection. This version is made with tempeh and tofu in a Lebanese style tomato based marinade and the results are a pita full of plant goodness.
So many bloggers that I follow are talking about how excited they are that the beginning of September signifies the start of fall. They are ready to roll out their hearty stews and hundreds of pumpkin based recipes. I am not one of those bloggers. Summer ending truly saddens me and I am grasping the final days of summer with both hands – just trying to take in the remaining nice weather before the season changes. These kabobs are a great summertime fun grilling dish and would be perfect for your Labor Day Party!
The tofu and tempeh are super flavorful and make wonderful sandwiches. Traditionally, they are served with a garlic paste called Toum. I typically enjoy sandwiches without condiments, but if you like a little added creaminess on your sandwiches, here is a quick and easy recipe.
This recipe is enough marinade to do either tempeh or tofu. If you want to do both as I did, you will want to double the recipe as written. I really liked the tofu kabobs the best. I loved how the tofu stayed tender on the inside but got a nice crispiness on the outside. It was eerily close in texture to the chicken kabobs I used to enjoy.
Am I alone here in not wanting summer to end? My husband is over it already. What about you? Are you guys celebrating your final days of summer or cheering in the first days of fall?
- ¼ cup plain vegan yogurt
- 3 TB olive oil
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Juice from 1 Lemon (2-3 TB)
- 1 TB Paprika
- ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 ounces of tempeh or 14 ounces of firm tofu, cubed
- ½ red onion, 1 inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, 1 inch pieces
- ½ green bell pepper, 1 inch pieces
- wooden sticks (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- Add all marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Cut the tempeh or tofu into cubes and add to marinade.
- Cover and place in fridge for at least 4 hours (the longer the better).
- Once marinated, soak your wooden sticks in water for 30 minutes.
- Cut your onions and peppers in large pieces so you can put them on the stick.
- Alternate tofu/tempeh, onions, and peppers on the skewers.
- Preheat grill on high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, spray grill with a non stick spray, and place skewers on hot grill.
- Turn kabobs to allow them to get evenly browned on all sides.
- Cook until crispy (about 10 minutes).
I squeezed the excess water out of the tofu prior to marinating.